Aktuelle Zeit: 26.04.2024, 23:41

Alle Zeiten sind UTC

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 31 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: English Clip Resources
BeitragVerfasst: 12.02.2009, 04:51 

The challenged life of an English speaking monoglot and VL fan.

I exaggerate, I speak effective Pig-Latin and can politely ask, “Where is the toilette/restroom/bathroom/ladies room?” in 7 languages. For what it is worth, here is my method comprehending VL.

muis, the Dutch clip goddess, provides the full episode sans subtitles so that I can watch what is happening with everyone. I’m enjoying Gregor/Luise and Elisabeth at the moment.

When time permits, I log-on to YT and see what mittag has posted. She is quick to post the Carla-focused scenes. Check the comments on Mittags clips, for renville68 (I think she is Irish). She typically will quickly post synopsis in English. Though not literal translations, they are a huge help.

To see the best image, I’ll check out dorianagrey2 . Here, you can see the same clips in High-definition and full screen. The down side is you’ll never see these super-clear clips with a translation of any kind. This is pure eye candy.

Then, stay patient, as CarlaFreak, the Superfreak of Carla clips, from Belgium, will eventually work her word-magic and post the clips with her best (which is quite good) translated English subtitles.

All the while, our host Novemberstern (shout out to you and Tegan too) will post…well… everything here on the forum: the clips with and without English subtitles and the preview/spoilers with the teaser information regarding what’s coming up.

In no time at all you can go crazy with translation books, translation web programs (google translator, babelfish.yahoo.com, etc….). Then you can humiliate yourself writing in English, translating into Deutsch and sharing it with others. The translations are horrid, but at least you’re in the game.

Lastly, watch a lot of VL. After a while your mind will fool you into thinking you actually understand what’s being said. You’ll be fine until you have the opportunity to converse with someone auf Deutsch while they communicate with rapid fire colloquialisms. If you get frustrated pick up a picture of Claudia Hiersche to remind you of the goal. Enjoy.

There are other resources for older translated clips as well.

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: 12.02.2009, 04:51 

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 12.02.2009, 21:38 

AtlantaFan,

You are a delight to read and had me laughing out loud at this:

Zitat:
Lastly, watch a lot of VL. After a while your mind will fool you into thinking you actually understand what’s being said. You’ll be fine until you have the opportunity to converse with someone auf Deutsch while they communicate with rapid fire colloquialisms

So true about self-delusion. I have not gotten myself interested in the rest of the VL story yet, with the possible exception of the charming little fairytale of the Princess and Gregor--but only peripherally.

I have visited the other clippers you mention as well, but nowhere near in such an orderly fashion. I think I'll try it!

I have started converting some of the Flash encoded (.flv) files that I've downloaded from youtube into mp3s. Then I make a CD, and after my newly instituted nightly weightloss CD of Jon Gabriel, I plug into the audio of Carla and Stella. This only aggravates the delusion of comprehension, of course.

Next day, I check my dictionary and phrase book for the auditory gems whizzing around in my head.

I also check for updates from bienchen1981 and other youtube channelers for their music videos of Carla and her women.

Thanks again for your droll wit.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 13.02.2009, 02:34 

Ha! Now serving "droll wit" - no extra charge. Bienchen1981 is great and so is Mizkel, the aussie mate, with her Canna & SuCa translations (via the help of others). Good luck with your approach. If you've opened Pandora's Box then you are on to Spain’s Hospital Central (Maca/Esther/Vero triangle) or Los Hobres de Paco (Pepa y Silvia); Italy’s Terapia d’Urgenza (Marina/Esther) or France’s Belle La Vie (Celine et Virginie) which is kinda slow, but….french n’est pas, et sur la plage aussie. Oh… greenyAFP will post (too rarely) some obscure Carla clips I haven’t seen other places, but mostly the clips are Gregor focused.

I’m going to stuff a Langenscheidt Universal-Woerterbuch Englisch-Deutsch under my pillow tonight and hope for osmosis.

Good luck with the exercising. How’s that working for you?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 13.02.2009, 04:22 

Dear Drollwit,

Who said anything about exercising?!

As for Pandora's box, I've mostly been taking giant-sized bites out of whole lesbian films from OneMoreLesbian's movie/video links, and Rootforum1's great lesbian movie links. I like stories I don't have to wait days/months for. The German movies I've found such as Die Liebwachterin and The Journey to Kafiristan represent a good meal. Since German was my undergraduate language, I have textbooks, rarely opened when appropriate, falling off my desk now. That foray into babel was over 20 years ago, and even then I was an older woman returning to school whose brain was drifting into some undiscovered country. Today, I fear I've landed.

You are apparently a monoglot on a multilingual diet! Give me a good subtitle and I'm a polyglot too. I don't want cable TV, so if I can't find it on the internet or at the library, I do without it. No, I don't buy it!

The only other soap I've tried to have patience for is the one with Pepa and Silvia; I liked their boxing match, and Pepa being told off for wanting some chap as a sperm donor!

No, VL is my current cup of soap-tea. If Stella could control her whine a bit more I could love her a bit more, although there is something endearing about her when she stamps her little foot and hugs her clip-board.

I like her ego, though, and her hidden reservoir of strength which will help support Carla as she re-centers herself away from the imbalance brought about by the Hanna/Susanne assaults on her vulnerability. Then she can be as nurturing to Stella as Charlie seems to be.

Claude Hiersche is suprising in her capacity to emote into the cold-eye of the camera without mugging. She's a charmer--even if she finds it "strange" "different" kussing a woman. I'm waiting for a bit more panting and sweating and hope when the snowboarder beds the runner we might get some of that. I do know that Claudia likes the heat.

Tschuss,
my word of the day,
CH (preferably known as fancie)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 14.02.2009, 00:46 

Dearest fancie (aka, takes one Drollwit to know one):

I am going to check out your recommended movie and video links as I love unexplored territory with lesbian themes. Regarding soaps versus the entire meal-o-movie there is something to be said for measured portions maintaining the appetite. As for the textbooks, (as they say here in America’s south) “Preach on Sister, I’ll turn the pages.” My shelves are drooping with dictionaries and language guides; hence the expertise with bathroom queries suitable for most continents. Don’t fear your heretofore referenced landing. Adventure is good for the soul.

Pepa boxing?! ‘nuff said. I love fact-based, police drama. Pepa and Silvie both remind me of every police woman I’ve never seen before in my life, but wish I had.

Zitat:
…although there is something endearing about her when she stamps her little foot and hugs her clip-board.
LOL!!!!!!!

I know the orchestra will swell when Stella tosses that clip-board over her shoulder to swoon in Carla's arms.

Lastly, your reference of the “snowboarder” and the “runner” in the "heat" has me so looking forward to Spring und Starla.

Thanks for the chat. It’s been a pleasure to both express and understand thoughts and enthusiasm of CH and VL in my mother/father/sister/familiar tongue.

Tschuess backacha!
What is the word for tomorrow.?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 19.02.2009, 01:07 

Dear AtlantaFan,

You mean after Carolynnq9a went to all the trouble of defining tschuss for me, I still managed to misspell it!?

Glad you're going to check out the movie sites. Sated on the ill-fated (eg., Affäre zu dritt), I am absolutely thrilled to find women abandoning their husbands in droves for the possibility of lesbian nirvana. Hence my delight in Die Konkurrentin, Combats de Femme and Late Bloomers on YouTube, and La Surprise on Rootforum1.

I have, as is my imitative wont, attempted to imbibe a soupcon of soap per your recommendations with Maca/Marina and their respective Esthers, Celine and Virginie, Manu and Katia, Nikki and Helen, and absolutely drowned myself with an overdose of the adorable teens of Sugar Rush!

However, between Tipping the Velvet and Combats. . .my blood pressure has driven me back to the (relatively speaking) mild erotica of VL. (smile)

Of course I do other things like laundry and shopping and reading and apartment-cleaning---I mean, whaddaya think?

You know, 65-year-old chronic depressive dykes don't just sit around all day trying to re-negotiate their lesbianism with the closet.

Claudia Hiersche has made me go on a no-diet diet!

Tschuess, AtlantaFan.
Keep up the good humor!

The word is Gelachter!

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 19.02.2009, 02:42 

No worries regarding the spelling. If I had and umlaut (not a reference to an old Peter, Paul and Mary song), I could spell it without the "e," but as I do not have an umlaut handy (I don't want to resort to looking for it with a character based font) I can simply add the "e" after the vowel that would have had said umlaut.

Hence, Tschüss becomes Tschuess

Thanks for the day's word, I'll raise it with this little lesson.

:)

Betreff des Beitrags: Website suggestions
BeitragVerfasst: 19.02.2009, 17:16 

Thank you very much for the website suggestions.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.02.2009, 01:34 

Thank you, AtlantaFan,
I get it now!
Fran

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 20.02.2009, 03:02 

Kein problem. How's the diet? A bit lean today without VL, but CarlaFreak did post a new translation on YT with "the kiss." Ahh sweet, drunk on love Carla and what in the hell is wrong with you girl, Stella. They make a lovely couple.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 21.02.2009, 23:03 

Hiya, DW,

Yes "the kuss" translation filled-in the limits of my imagination;-) I've been on this board and the youtubes defending the honor of Charlie against the "ughers!"lol It's a point of personal privilege, (even though the thought of Charlie and Stella causes great concern in the stomach area), principally, as some Charlie nayers point out, because they (and I, and you, I'm sure)bwant to see Carla with the beautiful, sexy, simpatische STELLLA!! rotflmao---I know, I know...

I turned down all my May/December possibilities when I was a younger dyke as I thought it inappropriate to honor the crushes of gullible young women. It may not be right for me, but moneybag men get away with it all the time--and are admired for it. So, I don't want to discourage the lesbian potential for cross-timeline love.

That said, if Charlie comes near Stella while Carla is pining away, I'm gonna do a drive-by!

Meanwhile, I think it would be fun for Dykes of All Nations to start an alternate plotline thread for Carla, with some good wholesome snarking included.

I'm thinking of a way to include Ulrike Folkerts as a drop-in detective investigating the attempted murder of Ansgar by person or persons unknown. Maybe a lost Lahnstein heir radicalizing the scullions. Then, the out-lesbian Folkerts playing Lena Odenthal, or some transmogrification of such, with her non-femishways, can present a counter-point to the foolish Stella.

Starla needs some serious intervention!

Tschuess, tschuss, shoot

word: Sarkasmus

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 22.02.2009, 20:49 

Why whatever do you mean by Sarkasmus? I've never heard of it. Never. Ever.

I have been that gullible young woman and take umbrage as well with the harsh comments regarding the Stella/Charlie tryst except as it relates to a barrier to Starlaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

The actress playing Charlie is 15 years older than Anne Wis (Stella) so I don't find that horrible in any manner except that...she's not Carla.

I love curves on the road of life. I mean it is Forbidden Love after all, not Happily Ever After. Who would tune in to that 5 days a week?

Your idea of alternate storylines is great. On "the other" forum (the green one) Nike75 has begun writing alternatives and has them posted on yet another site (where there are scads of VL alternatives - mostly if the Chrolli kind). She is looking for beta readers auf Englisch (finally something for which I am modestly qualified -as are you).

So....why not be the first to take the plunge here! Take fingertips to the keyboard and let your creative power go (kein Sarkasmus hier, wirklich).

As for anything with Ulrike Folkerts/Lena Odenthal....lead on McDuff, I shall turn the pages.

Now let's hope that Mann family "gets a clue."

Ciao for now...

DW
in Atlanta

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.02.2009, 00:10 

Well, Drollwit, I've found Nike75 at the green one, under fanfic and I see you've signed on as a beta reader! Great! I'll register there, too. Not sure as a beta-reader, though.

However, now that I know what fanfic means, I notice we have one here already under off-topic-->Stories und Gedicte, und in zweisprachig!

I lack the strength of will to spend that much Deutsche-zeit in translating what's there. The English, though, is fine--aber ich bin nicht sehr romantische hier und jetzt (smile); Ich brauche Humor, ein bisschen beissender Humor! I'm not sure a love story with snarky bits will go down well with Carla's fans! lol

Finally, I didn't know there were "scads of VL alternatives - mostly if (sic) the Chrolli kind."

I'm new to this planet----Ooooooh---chrolli!!!

You mean Christian and Olli--am I richtig?

Well, I'm new so have mercy! (smile)

Seriously, I love Claudia Hiersche's portrayal of Carla--I think the character and the relationships are a boon to lesbian safety across the globe. While Claudia deserves strong story-lines to mitigate her boredom level, a soaper may not be the place to help her keep herself interested. I watch VL pretty much only for Claudia's Carla characterization--(and I am liking Gregor and the Princessin--at least when she's in mechanic's-drag) but, so far, I wouldn't watch if Claudia left.

So my aim is to keep Claudia/Carla alive (in my mind only?) with nifty graffiti-Schriften exploiting Claudia's acting range--particularly her humor via Carla's character development. So she doesn't get to see it, or do it--I get to write it (imagine it?) for a vicarious thrill!

I think I'm a soap opera!

So long, DW,
spiel oder Stuck

Jeez--I had to use my Cassell's to write this--and still don't know if I used the right words and phrases for what I wanted to say! lol

Fran

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.02.2009, 10:25 

AtlantaFan---!

Another sleepless night!

Oh, Well--you've asked about my diet. It's going quite well! I've always wanted to look like Marie Dressler in drag.

My new name for the VL chronicles is Velocirapturous.

I've really gotta get some sleep.

sigh....

Fran

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 31 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2, 3  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC