Aktuelle Zeit: 29.04.2024, 03:03

Alle Zeiten sind UTC

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 109 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 14.02.2011, 17:13 

Zitat:
Kim, would you mind to tell us what Carla and Evelyn conversation is about, since it's obviously about Hanna and Carla?

My pleasure, I can translate whatever you want me to :).

1) First scene: Hanna and Lars:
Hanna apologizes for her strange behavior in the last weeks and tells Lars that it didn't have anything to do with him (which is true) and that it was just because the idea of moving together stressed her out (which is partly true), and that she wants to be with him and that she loves him (which is, well, maybe not so true). Like me, Lars is not so sure that Hanna tells him the truth, but eventually he decides to believe her.

2) Second scene: Carla and Evelyn:
You are absolutely right, moment. That's exactly what is happening:
Evelyn: Forget her.
Carla: (shakes her head silently.)
Evelyn: You should. (puts the snowball away.)... Would you be really honest with me if I asked you something?
Carla: Yes. What is it?
Evelyn: Did you sleep with Hanna?
Carla: Yes.
Evelyn: I knew it.
Carla (going towards her): But I know now that it was a mistake... Believe me.
(Evelyn looks not so sure...)

Hm, I can't get rid of the feeling that those two scenes have a lot in common: Both, Hanna and Carla, don't want to lose what they have, both ladies have to reassure their lovers that they want to be with them, both of them are not really convincing, and both partners hesitate to believe them :).

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: 14.02.2011, 17:13 

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 14.02.2011, 19:32 

Kim, thank you for the translation!!!

Zitat:
Hm, I can't get rid of the feeling that those two scenes have a lot in common: Both, Hanna and Carla, don't want to lose what they have, both ladies have to reassure their lovers that they want to be with them, both of them are not really convincing, and both partners hesitate to believe them

They do have a lot in common. Kudos to the writers because showing them back to back just highlights their similarities. It's soooo good! :D

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 14.02.2011, 23:18 

Thanks, kim, so much!

(i love your comments along the translation, btw :D )

The more i see now, the more i really appreciate writing of those two characters. As supercell said, it's about showing their similarities but also about their deep connection from the beginning regardless all struggles they have to undergo on their own. That is that particular thing that makes this relationship the best I have ever seen in representing love of two women.

I don't know what is more poignant for me - Carla's eternal belief Hanna "is made for her" and that two of them could have been so happy together, or Hanna's honesty in her confusion.

Just wondering girls, if you had to list one most important turning point in their story, what it would be?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 02:28 

Zitat:
Just wondering girls, if you had to list one most important turning point in their story, what it would be?

Here's my take on it.

Carla's turning point comes much sooner and easier than Hanna's because she's gay and knows it. The morning after the Molotov kiss, Carla is painting Hanna while Hanna drones on about Lars. Carla knows she has feelings for Hanna and can't take it anymore. She yells at Hanna and runs out.

Thus begins Hanna's chase. She shows up unannounced at Carla's home and invites her to dinner, which Hanna will cook. Carla agrees, because she obviously can't say no to Hanna. The next morning, Carla decides to back off and cancels over the phone. Hanna then shows up unannounced to Carla's work. Carla changes her mind and agrees to meet again to finish the painting.Later that day, they are once again at Hanna's. Hanna stops the work and insists they have a drink and watch a movie. Carla resists but gives in because she can't say no to Hanna. When Hanna falls asleep, Carla kisses her on the forehead. This is the turning point for Carla.

Thus begins Carla's chase. She tries to tell Hanna her feelings over sushi but is interrupted. Then Lars ruins the romantic dinner she planned. Hanna once again shows up unannounced at her work to confront her. She finally admits her feelings, but Hanna says she cannot return them.

Thus begins Carla's retreat. She tells Hanna she can't see her anymore, even as friends. Hanna agrees. They then see each other in Schneider's. Hanna approaches and Carla rebuffs. For a second time, they see each other at Schneider's and Carla walks out. Hanna runs after her. They end up soaked and back at Hanna's. When Carla walks out in Hanna's dress, Hanna can't help but admire her beauty. Next, they meet for coffee and Hanna lies to Lars about who she's with. Carla confronts her with it and Hanna runs out.

Carla now knows that Hanna has feelings for her, and sends her the globe. After Hanna receives it, she realizes that Carla understands her like Lars never could. This is the turning point for Hanna. She shows up unannounced to Carla's office. They almost kiss, but Hanna's still not quite ready to acknowledge her feelings to herself or Carla. They agree to meet again.

When Hanna cancels on Carla via text, Carla has had it. Hanna knows this and shows up once again unannounced to her office. They agree to meet at the Afterwork Party, both knowing full well that something will happen that night.

Can you tell I've put lots of thought into this subject? :lol:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 09:43 

LOL! yeah, I could tell you put a lots of thought. I have too. That was actually where my question came from. But as we know, as much as one thing lead to another, one define or explain another, there is always that one moment when something "clicks", that you simply just know!!

The only thing easier for Carla is that she knows she loves women, so she recognizes early on that she is attracted to Hanna. Hanna is attracted to Carla, as we see from the beginning, but she doesn't know why. And from here, I can go forever, but I am trying to find that one moment, when it's like "hello - that's it".

I was trying to ask (and to find) something about Carla before Hanna but it seems that everything starts with Evelyn, which is just agreement between two of them (btw, I still don't know how it was introduced in VL - is there any clip about that?)...So, do we know whether Carla had some heartbreaking relationship before, did she have a big love before, etc. Or Hanna is her first big and probing love? Since I didn't find any of that, I assume that Carla for the first time experience these kind of deep feelings
for Hanna.

Anyway, I agree - and I would add even more to supercell's "review", about their individual gradual steps, but now after seeing a little bit more of "side-C&H-stories", I think that for both of them the snowglobe is the mutual turning point.

Carla watching Hanna who's checking on the snowglobe in the store - Carla got completely and forever mesmerized with Hanna

Carla's attempt to write a letter to come with the snowball to Hanna - searching through her deepest self, trying to find words to express her feelings, and finally realizes that no words will ever do it

Hanna receiving the snowglobe - pure joy that she lets fly around, tormented heart/mind that realizes that only Carla could have sent it, and finally the need to share it with Carla.

Hanna comes to Carla's office to thank her for the snowglobe - (btw, one of my favorite scenes, if not the favorite, between two of them) - so much tenderness between two of them, Carla's very sensitive (both playful and to-the-point) help to Hanna's more relaxed introspection into her own reason for coming...stop me here, I'd go forever about this!!!!

There is more struggle after this, of course, but I think that after the snowglobe they both know what they are fighting.

Btw, it seems like Carla bought two snowglobes, one for Hanna, one for herself? If she bought only one and sent it to Hanna, then she couldn't have one in her office that Evelyn put away at one point (when she asks Carla did she sleep with Hanna)...or I missed something? Until I saw that clip of Evelyn and Carla with the snowglobe I thought that after Hanna's death Carla took the snowglobe she had given to Hanna as the memory, but it seems there were two snowglobes...Any insight in this girls?

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 10:17 

Zitat:
I assume that Carla for the first time experience these kind of deep feelings for Hanna.

I think Hanna is Carla's first real love. After Isabel guesses that they are together, Carla tells Hanna that she's never let a relationship get that far before. When Hanna asks how she did that, Carla replies that she always left before it got to that point. I think Carla felt so strongly for Hanna that there was no way she could leave, even if she'd wanted to.

Zitat:
but it seems there were two snowglobes

I've never seen a clip of when Carla actually did the buying, but I just assumed she bought two because of the scene with Evelyn. The two globes are also different. Hanna's has big brown ears on the figure, while Carla's does not. The globe Carla has after Hanna's death looks like the same one she had that Evelyn put away. (it's difficult to see clearly due to youtube size, so maybe someone with it on dvd can shed more light)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 11:17 

Zitat:
I assume that Carla for the first time experience these kind of deep feelings for Hanna.

I think Hanna is Carla's first real love...[/quote]

I think that Hanna is her first big love anyway. I remember that conversation when Carla says she always left before it got there...although, wasn't she saying that at the point when two of them had some argument? I will check, can't remember right now - and actually, it doesn't matter that much ;)

I was checking that site that you mentioned supercell, and found a lot of stuff, although it makes now some more confusion ;) For example, there is one clip where Carla is at home, around fireplace I think, and she listens to the (saved) phone message, kind of wanting to hear Hanna's voice (not the one when she is with Brendt - this is earlier)...but there is no reference to that...
There is also one clip when Hanna writes letter to Lars (what she was writing? Did she try to break up with him that way first/) and then take a taxi...where does she go?

also saw yesterday a very short clip of Carla being at home

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 12:56 

Zitat:

Very interesting question, moment! Thanks for the inspiration. And WOW! Supercell! What a great analysis!!! Yes, I totally believe that you’ve put lots of thought into this project. It was fun and very interesting to read your thoughts! I think I have a different approach but it doesn’t really contradict yours.

1) My theory about Carla: Carla doesn’t have a turning point.

The moment she meets Hanna at the “No Limits” for the very first time Carla is on the hook, and she never really turns around again. Yes, she’s trying to get rid of her feelings, she’s trying to be a friend, she’s trying to forget Hanna, she’s trying get her out of her life, she’s trying to go back to Evelyn, she’s trying all kinds of things, but she never really turns away from Hanna. Carla is definitely lost.

2) My theory about Hanna: Hanna has several turning points – each one bigger than the one before.

First turning point: Carla’s confession. The moment Carla declares her love to her it changes everything for Hanna. In the next weeks she – or better: a part of her – begins to see their relationship in a different light, she is also forced to see their kiss in a different light (Is the scene online when Hanna sits at the “Schneider’s” with Lars and remembers the kiss with Carla? The memory makes her smile involuntarily…). However, Hanna doesn’t really want to think about it and tries to convince herself that she is still only interested in a friendship. At least she allows herself to express that Carla means a lot to her and that she doesn’t want to lose her.

Second turning point: The dress scene. The moment Hanna is helping Carla with the dress is such an intimate (and erotic) moment that Hanna can’t deny anymore that there is something else she feels for Carla.

Third turning point: The snowglobe. Hanna has tried to avoid Carla, but the snowball makes it clear, how deep the connection between Carla and her is, and that Carla is able to touch her in a way that nobody else can. No wonder, she almost kisses Carla when she sees her in her office.

Fourth turning point: Boy George. We can see that Hanna is already lost, but she’s still struggling. However: The moment when she gets up from the sofa and takes Carla’s hand… she knows exactly what she’s doing. In my opinion this is the biggest turning point. Everything else after this, their kissing, their night together, then Hanna’s retreat, and finally Hanna’s surrender much later, is just a consequence of this decision. When Hanna gets up from the sofa and takes Carla’s hand, that’s when the course is set. From that moment on it’s only a question of time until these two find back together again. Why? Because that’s the moment when her mind stops fighting her heart, and it just feels right.

Fifth turning point: Asking for help. After avoiding, avoiding, avoiding Hanna decides to visit Carla with a ridiculous and desperate request: She begs Carla to “help” her. So far Hanna has told us (the audience) and Carla in many ways what she feels for Carla (destroying the painting was one of the most intense moments), but when she goes to Carla, the desperation in her voice when she begs her “You MUST help me!”, that’s her first official (although still hidden) declaration of love. Of course, their next meeting can only lead into the next almost-kiss.

Sixth turning point: The engagement party. Seeing another person at Carla’s side - even though it’s a man and even though she knows that it’s faked - hurts Hanna so much that she unintentionally blurts out her love to Carla. Maybe it’s not really a turning point but it’s the moment when Hanna knows that there’s no way back. Carla expects Hanna’s next withdrawal, but for Hanna everything is clear: Now that she said it she will find a way to live it.

Even when Hanna confesses her love, Carla is still afraid that she would change her mind again. Only when they meet in the guest apartment of the “No Limits”, that’s the moment when Carla finally realizes that Hanna really wants to be with her. “You really left Lars?” – “Yes.” – “For us?” – “Yes.” – “And you do know what you get yourself into?”- “I wouldn’t have left Lars if I didn’t” - “No backtrack?” – “No.”

It's a beautiful scene:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBAwRHYnDw&playnext=1&list=PL008ECF6276A833FA[/youtube]

Zuletzt geändert von kimlegaspi am 15.02.2011, 13:17, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 13:06 

Zitat:
I was checking that site that you mentioned supercell, and found a lot of stuff, although it makes now some more confusion ;) For example, there is one clip where Carla is at home, around fireplace I think, and she listens to the (saved) phone message, kind of wanting to hear Hanna's voice (not the one when she is with Brendt - this is earlier)...but there is no reference to that...
There is also one clip when Hanna writes letter to Lars (what she was writing? Did she try to break up with him that way first/) and then take a taxi...where does she go?

Yes, Hanna writes Lars a letter to break up with him (after she confessed her love to Carla at the engagement party). She decides to leave Duesseldorf for a few days in order to get some distance and to be able to think. She never gave the letter to Lars because Lars bought that apartment while she was away so that she had to talk to him directly.

If you give me a link to the fireplace scene, moment, I can tell you what it is about :).

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 14:45 

OMG, girls -- and why did I ask for just one? LOL!
Anyway, I tried so hard to pin just one, simply because there are many.

But, you both now went into the whole thing, and I can't help adding something. As for Hanna's turning points, I would list them as Kim did. As for Carla, I think that it;s not easy for her on a different level, not only because she understands what she is feeling and because she has to fight Hanna's dilemmas, but also because if Hanna is becoming - as it seems she does - he love of her life, then the whole game of fighting for it and not letting it go has also its own levels. On other words, Carla also has her own turning points, going deeper and deeper into the whole thing.
I'll go with Carla's TPs since it seems you both nailed Hanna ;)

Carla's first TP: Their first meeting at No Limits. In general, I wouldn't call that Carla's first TP since something like that happens often, that we just get carried by a particular moment, but since we know C&H story, well, it was the first TP.

Carla's second TP: When she adjust hair at Hanna's face while painting her. Getting close and touching Hanna's face was like a "click" for Carla that it was not just immediate attraction...That's when real troubles started for Carla. Soon she confessed to Leonard her love problems. And of course, her first big disappointment came in after Molotof bar! and soon she lied to Hanna about the boyfriend so she could keep her around. Plus remorses (gift for Evelyn...)

Carla's third TP: When Hanna fell asleep when they were watching a movie. Kissing her head and caressing her as lightly as she did, just brought her to more tormented phase, and decision to tell Hanna about her feelings. They already grow at that point that she couldn't keep them for herself.

Carla's fourth TP: After being rejected by Hanna over the coffee, Carla saw her watching the snowball, and while watching her Carla slipped into no-return phase. For me, that's the point when Carla knew for good that Hanna is for her.

Carla's fifth TP: When she became really suspicious of Hanna's feeling for her - when Hanna came to the her office to thank her for the gift. Well, I already said what I think about that.

Carla's sixth and most important TP: After their first night together. Carla now knows what does it all mean for her: no return.

Carla's final TP: When Hanna asks her for help. Deeply hurt (and with her usual, immediate reaction), she realizes that Hanna "was caught".

The rest for Carla was to get Hanna to see it and admit it. To deal with Hanna's final process of strugle.

----

And yes, Kim, that scene you linked is so nice. One of many. Again, so nicely and with so many nuances described love, from its inception to realization.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 14:47 

kimlegaspi hat geschrieben:
If you give me a link to the fireplace scene, moment, I can tell you what it is about :).

I will as soon as I find it again. It was a part of one that I found checking other stuff...I have to go through those clips again... ;)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 16:13 

just a link to a little bit more detailed 'aftermath" for both of them after the first night...and again, the same!!! song, vine,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBt3Rjd ... playnext=2

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 16:17 

Zitat:
On other words, Carla also has her own turning points, going deeper and deeper into the whole thing.

Thank you, moment! Great analysis, too! I'm definitely with you. Carla wants to find a way out but she's only getting deeper and deeper into it - and in a way it's the same for Hanna.

Isn't all this like a long, beautiful dance? Maybe it's not a coincidence that they dance three times during the storyline, and that the most important move (from both of them) happens in a dance...

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.02.2011, 16:58 

Zitat:
Isn't all this like a long, beautiful dance? Maybe it's not a coincidence that they dance three times during the storyline, and that the most important move (from both of them) happens in a dance...

You got me here...Dance...yes...For me, it's not a coincidence!
A long, beautiful dance, with every move count...
I only guess you know what dance is, and what brings between two people. Then, no wonder we get it the same way

;) great comparison!!!!

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 109 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC