Aktuelle Zeit: 25.04.2024, 05:11

Alle Zeiten sind UTC

Which Relationship Story Do You Think Is Told Better?
VL (Carla's Relationships) 64%  64%  [ 25 ]
Los Hombres De Paco 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Bad Girls 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Hospital Central 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
All My Children 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Guiding Light 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Hollyoaks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The L Word 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Abstimmungen insgesamt : 39
Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 16.09.2009, 14:42 
Appreciated Assistant

OK, the "powers that be" on this forum thought this topic might be interesting for us to discuss here... :zwinker:

What do you think of the depiction of Carla's love life (all her relationships) on "VL" compared to the relationship storylines on other soaps in other countries?

By relationship storylines, I mean, obviously, "lesbian" relationship storylines, of 'coz, since we're comparing Carla's. :mrgreen:

Off the top of my heaad, there are several shows w/ lesbian relationship storylines that we can compare with. For e.g., Hospital Central (Spain), Los Hombres de Paco (Spain), Bad Girls (UK), Hollyoaks (UK), All My Children (USA), Guiding Light (USA), TLW (USA), etc.... & the lot.. You know what I'm getting at...

Factors to be considered when comparing:
1. Story arc
2. Character development
3. Realism
4. Performance
5. Costume
6. Sex/Intimacy Scenes
7. On-screen chemistry
- convincing or forced or deficient...

I'm putting a poll to compare "VL" with the prominent ones that perhaps most people have seen (adult relationships as opposed to the teen ones)...if the show you're thinking of is not included, I apologize. But feel free to mention it here...

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: 16.09.2009, 14:42 

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 16.09.2009, 15:00 
Appreciated Assistant

I'm torn.. I've always loved the Helen/Nikki story from "Bad Girls," 'coz it was told with such honesty, realism and the on/off-screen chemistry between those 2 was OFF THE CHARTS! Not to mention their stellar and amazingly convincing performances! Who could forget their 1 single intimate scene which was done beautifully (didn't show too much but that's the KEY!), leaving viewers wanting more..! :-P

But then, I also love the "Carla/Hanna" storyline even when it ended tragically. But I thought CH and KD did a fantastic portrayal of the characters 'coz they had very real and natural chemistry together. So their intimate scenes were naturally believable. The thing that worked for me was the story being told with great writing. Very realistic dialogue and story arc, topped with convincing performances, just amplified the story even more. PLUS, I love their outfits! :mrgreen:

To an extent, I like the "Carla/Stella" storyline, albeit a little contrived. Not as natural as the "Carla/Hanna" story but gotta say, CH and AW ooze chemistry! So their intimate scenes are believable. And again, I love the outfits! :mrgreen: AND, Starla = EYE CANDY!!! :wink:

Not so for "Carla/Susanne" - didn't work for me although written well, the story development was realistic, but I didn't think it was acted as natural as I hoped it was. The chemistry between the 2 was not great, not to mention the intimate scenes. Night and day compared to the other on-screen partners of CH! Maybe that's why I couldn't get into it. Well, with the exception of Marina - whom I thought was not right, either.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 26.09.2009, 22:12 

tough choice but I voted for LHDP because I watched the whole storyline to the end as oppose to Carla whom I only saw parts of. lol being that this is a VL board, I would vote for Carla easily but I'm loyal to Pepa (lol) and altho we had the bitter end for her storyline, I am just in love with the whole thing in general. I loved everything but the end. ;(

The L Word... altho a show about lesbians never really lived up to its potential past season 1. yes I admit it is very entertaining at times but it's mostly eye candy too. great acting from Jennifer Beals (Bette Porter) in spite of the ridiculous plot points. :p

I also love Otalia (Guiding Light) in spite of the lack of intimacy. it was an awesome slow burn that lasted a year (altho I only started about 6 months ago at the same time as VL). it would have been perfect cos it was well acted, the plot was believable and they had chemistry. BUUUUUT America is homophobic so in the end we never even saw them kiss/be intimate apart from the contrived touching. and this was even after the "I love you's". so yeah disappointing.

I love Hospital Central but mostly for the eye candy but there's good drama in there. was never really a fan of Maca/Esther cos am a proud Maca/Vero supporter. let's face it, Vero was hot and Esther... not so much?xD but Vero left the show so my interest kinda went out the window with her. I still admire Maca tho (being she's also a full lesbian from the very beginning and her character is flawed but beloved) so I might watch it again for her.

now for Carla? weelllllll, what is there to say? she's been on the show for 6 years and they have not held anything back in regards to her storyline. she's always been a lesbian and I think that's very important. we don't want ladies who suddenly flip sides depending on the storyline. but yeah I voted for my Pepa for the reason that well, I like her more than any of the girls combined. :p Carla is a close second. xD

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 27.09.2009, 09:36 

Well, if there has been a specific option for Carla-Hanna relationship, I wud have voted for that without any doubt. Carla's other relationships IMO wasnt that well developed:

(1) Not much was shown about Evelyn besides the part when she so bitchily outed Carla. :bash:

(2) A short stint with Anke, all about lust, no love developed. A little off-character for Carla to hook-up with her, I thought.

(3) The Susanna story cud have been better writtten (she was afterall, Carla's real longterm relationship after Hanna). But somehow I feel the chemistry betw the 2 Claudia's a little forced. (A lot of intimate scenes but no real love development). Worst of all, the story skewed towards the typical unsure-lesbian-missing-hetro-sex-and-going-back-to-man stereotype.:roll:

(4) Frederike was a temporary temptation & no story there. :evil: (Side note: College mates are always a temptation, for me at least :oops: )

(5) Marina - Carla's match in terms of power & authority. But I dont get any vibes from them that they are a couple.

(6) And finally, STELLA. What more can I say? The story is getting better, the actress is getting better, the relationship is getting better (deeper, could have been even more deeply developed if they have time) and if they have to leave, they better give us a happy ending.:regenbogen:

So, in the absence of a Carla-Hanna option, I have chosen HC - Maca's relationship with both Esther & Vero. There is character development, realism, performance, sex/intimacy scenes and definite chemistry. Costume-wise, well wat do you expect from a hospital show with scrubs & doctor's overcoats? Oh yes, there was an epi where Maca wears an overcoat with cartoon prints - does that count?

Just my 2-cents worth. :oops:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 27.09.2009, 12:17 
Appreciated Assistant

Great points and analysis on the shows, Kelza & Bette!

Really, shows like LHDP, VL, Bad Girls, with prominent gay character development storylines put American shows to shame! Really! :zorn: I wonder when they'd pull their fingers out of their arses and start being tolerant and just to diversity!

Anyway, my dilemma was between "Bad Girls" and "VL" 'coz I always thought that "BG" had such a strong love story between Helen/Nikki which was depicted with such deep conviction that despite all the hardship and difficulties, true love really triumphed in the end. It could be labeled, "Forbidden Love" 'coz it was - love between a prison officer and prisoner - 100% forbidden! :wink: And it had a fab happy ending!! :mrgreen: But it only lasted 3 years... and nothing to shout about in the costumes dept (what can you expect from the prison, eh?)

Then, I discovered "Carla von Lahnstein" on "VL".... and found out that the character has been on the show for 6 years, and a true lesbian with no tendency to sway as far as her sexuality is concerned (which is a kicker for me); her love storylines are treated just like the others on the show, be it good or bad. There's no "oooo, looky, we're telling a LESBIAN story!!" freakshow mentality with the writers and producers of the show. Now THAT'S a fresh and totally commendable attitude - normality.

So, overall, if I must choose, it'd be Carla on VL which gives a slight edge 'coz it wins on the costumes as well, which "BG" can't compete, albeit for the other factors, "VL" and "BG" are virtually neck-in-neck...

Now, about "TLW" - it's not even in my radar of consideration 'coz it was done with such disrespect (basically leaning more towards pleasing men who love to watch 2 women having sex; brainless titilation) and so disproportionate and shallow in its storylines that my eyes and brain were literally throbbing in pain for days after every episode that I glanced through! I'm ashamed that the show was done by peeps from our community. I'd have forgiven the creator/writers if they were straight. The show, IMO, only justifies the negative stereotypes of gay people that the bible-bashers and those from the right keep spreading - that gay people are sex maniacs, lude and they'll prey on unsuspecting straight people...!! Not only that, look at how they butchered the "breast-cancer story" (Dana), the "gays in the military" story.... I mean, what was that?! SUCKED big time!! The only salvation of this show was Jennifer Beals but I was disappointed that she went with those bad-to-worse storylines.. Sad.. Really, it was such a potential in Season 1 but I think, Ilene Chaiken (creator) went off the deep end after she broke up with her longtime partner (20 years!) and hooked up with that woman from "Betty".....hence, the crazy stories from Season 2 onwards... I only hope and wish that the British version is done with much more taste...

I enjoyed Pepa/Silvia on "LHDP" and their romance but it wasn't as deep as say, Carla/Hanna, Helen/Nikki or even Carla/Stella. It was good but then they had to go to that... (oh no!) "now that we're partners, let's have a baby!" story, albeit (thank God!) didn't materialize. It was more an "eye candy" and fun-to-watch (the show IS funny!) for me in terms of Pepa/Silvia 'coz they both looked real good and had so much chemistry together. I didn't like their costumes. Too frilly for me.. And of 'coz the ending just tarnished all the good memories that I had of them.... :|

I watched "All My Children" which I thought would finally be THE American soap to stand up to the rights of gay people being in love without being depicted as predators or sex maniacs... But then, of 'coz they had to ruined everything.. So, I didn't want to watch "Guiding Light" 'coz I just knew the US shows, let alone daytime soaps, would never give the storyline any justice or realism.

All in all, if I can put my preference in order based on the factors, it'd look like this:

#1: Carla on "VL" (specifically with Hanna, then Stella [which I know would have been really good had CH stayed on for just a little longer in order to flesh out the intimacy, commitment and intensity of the relationship, including a good ending, no doubt!])

#2: Helen & Nikki on "Bad Girls" Series 1-3 (best written love story, gay or straight, a timeless piece)

#3: Pepa/Silvia on "LHDP" for now UNTIL I've had a chance to watch "Hospital Central" which I could then decide if it's better than Pepa/Silvia.. :wink:

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 31.10.2009, 04:22 

As a lesbian and as someone who used to work 'backstage' on a soap opera, I agree with a lot of what has been said.

The L-Word has gone off the rails completely.

I felt the relationship between Silvia and Pepa was for male titillation. I'm sure you all noticed how a man was present whenever they kissed or touched each other. I felt distinctly uncomfortable watching them together. It was awful! And then, just when it seems there is a possibility for a life-long lesbian commitment and love, they have Silvia SHOT!

And what about Home and Away - what were the characters afraid of???! Get IN there...give her a proper snog! And then, one of 'em is banished 'to the city' or something...? Eh hello, didn't they love each other??

Overall, I really admire the way Grundy have handled the lesbian issue in VL. I love that Carla's sexuality is not compromised. I think Claudia Hiersche did a stunning job. And I love the way that the actresses really went for it while filming. They seemed to have fun and enjoy it. Good on them.

For my money, VL's got it right in every way. :ok:

Alle Zeiten sind UTC