Aktuelle Zeit: 30.04.2024, 10:07

Alle Zeiten sind UTC

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 111 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Questions & Answers
BeitragVerfasst: 06.08.2012, 21:17 

Zitat:
So, am I right to assume that VL has really gone out of its way to depict the Marlene-Rebecca forbidden love?

Yes :)

Zitat:
Since you've watched Marlene's relationship with all the siblings, what would you consider unique about Marlene's relationship with Rebecca (besides the obvious mad chemistry)?

Phew. To me both Marlene/Hagen and Marlene/Tristan were never real love stories. With Marlene/Hagen we never saw them falling in love, they were always a couple when they arrived on the show. It is assumed that Hagen fell for Marlene when she was singing somewhere and she was impressed with him and they started dating. With Marlene/Tristan I always felt that he just "wore her down" with his persistence and eventually she gave up and decided to be with him. Neither of them were told in the big overwrought forbidden love way with the pining and the angsting.

In a way I think the appealing thing about Marbecca is of course we actually see Marlene's falling in love process, the insecurity, the awkwardness, the jealousy, the melodrama. Something we never had in this form in her other relationships. And in a way it's strangely part of the appeal that there *is* no good reason why she should be with Rebecca.

Rebecca has always been kinda the loser of the Lahnstein family, going back to when she was played by the other actress. Like, sure, she's a countess, she's a successfull designer, she's smart and loving and goodlooking. But out of her siblings, she's still pretty much the stupid one. Helena is a doctor of archeology who runs her own auction house, Tristan is some sort of financial genius who stomped his own branch of the company out of the ground by sheer force of will, Hagen is the "the heir" a former successfull diamond dealer and Sebastian is the one who gets shit done and who as "the dad" before their dad came back from the dead (long story). And Becca... Becca is just the stupid girl who likes to do arsty fartsy stuff.

And in a way that makes her a good foil for Marlene who has always been portrayed as somebody who can be impressed. Not as bad as a gold digger, but it was indicated that seeing the castle and meeting Hagen's family did a lot of make him rise even further in her esteem. And almost every discussion about Tristan is preceeded with listing all the things he can offer her and all the things he has done for her. Heck even with the emotional stuff you can argue that Tristan would probably try to find a way to give it to her if she asked him to.

So there is no good reason to pick Becky other than, you know, love, passion and all that stuff. Stuff that we never really saw between her and her guys. So in that way I think it's healthy for Marlene to fall in love with a person who is kinda 100% useless for her life other than being a love, heck somebody who might even threaten the life she wants (like her reputation or career with all the gay stuff).

Of course there are some other elements, like how Becca can be comparably straight forward and direct (though Hagen was kinda direct too). I like that Becci can also be kinda tempramental and bitchy on occasion. I think that's healthy for Marlene as well. I often feel like they relate more directly to each other while with both Hagen and Tristan I feel there is a lot of living passed each other. I know there are a lot of fans also who think that Marlene is somebody who is wearing masks a lot, that there is like a glitzy Marlene who is what Marlene wants to be and a "real" Marlene and that Rebecca is much better and much more interested in getting behind that mask (there is like this one scene where Tristan talks to this woman who wants to go casting couch with him and she asks how he can tell when Marlene is being real and when she's just pretending and he basically replies it doesn't matter, everybody wears masks) => but of course we don't really know yet how much of that is going to figure into a potential later relationship.

Betreff des Beitrags:
Verfasst: 06.08.2012, 21:17 

BeitragVerfasst: 07.08.2012, 01:04 

Let me begin by admitting something that will sound crazy: Because this is called the "Question and Answer" section - I have always imagined you in this smoky and dark setting with this crystal ball and possibly a turban. And your answers are always divined out with your awesome understanding of these characters and incredible ability to see into their pasts and possibly their future. And while I always compliment your replies - this one was exceptionally beautifully written.

Zitat:
With Marlene/Tristan I always felt that he just "wore her down" with his persistence and eventually she gave up and decided to be with him.
Agree!

Zitat:
In a way I think the appealing thing about Marbecca is of course we actually see Marlene's falling in love process, the insecurity, the awkwardness, the jealousy, the melodrama. Something we never had in this form in her other relationships.
You nailed this description. It is the appeal. By the way, Marlene is the eldest sister, right? So many of her qualities are general older-sibling characteristics.

Zitat:
Rebecca has always been kinda the loser of the Lahnstein family, going back to when she was played by the other actress. Like, sure, she's a countess, she's a successfull designer, she's smart and loving and goodlooking. But out of her siblings, she's still pretty much the stupid one.
I laughed through your explanation of Rebecca. There really is no good reason for Marlene to be with her - not for her career and not for her image. I intuitively understood this before you worded it here - and that is where the appeal lies. For a woman who has made peace with her life and choices, who has neatly outlined her goals and her likings...for such a woman, Rebecca is the equivalent of a giant wrecking ball. The wolf who blew down Marlene's perfectly crafted house. And it's not just the lezzie thing; for Marlene, giving into Rebecca crashes her system on more complex levels. If it hadn't been for this subtle intricacy in their storyline, the whole moving from one sibling to another would feel really gimmicky and overbearingly soap-operaish to me.

Zitat:
And in a way that makes her a good foil for Marlene who has always been portrayed as somebody who can be impressed.
Yea, I got this impression too. It will be really interesting to see her in a relationship with Rebecca. She will get the space that she doesn't have now (cuz what is it with Marlene hiding herself in a bathroom when she needs to escape Tristan - he is everywhere, EVERY-FREAKIN-WHERE). There will be boundaries and there will most likely be some backlash - from Tristan and maybe even more family members. How did the senior Lahnstein's take Marlene's relationship with Tristan after being married to Hagen? It doesn't seem like there was an huge backlash (still cringing about the as-long-as-it's-in-the-family comment Tristan made when he found Marlene and Rebecca sleeping together on the couch).

Zitat:
I know there are a lot of fans also who think that Marlene is somebody who is wearing masks a lot, that there is like a glitzy Marlene who is what Marlene wants to be and a "real" Marlene and that Rebecca is much better and much more interested in getting behind that mask
We do get to see multiple Marlene's. I remember where it was glaringly obvious to me - the opening of No Limits. Marlene was the consummate professional and society-girl at the opening right up until she noticed Rebecca wasn't there. And then there was something very real about her caring for Rebecca's "lovesickness" over "Bianca". If she was a true diva, she would have been too self-involved to notice or care. There was something I never fully understood - (probably because part 2 of the backstory has yet to be subtitled) - how is it that Marlene and Rebecca got off to such a resounding start? Like Rebecca appeared, they seemed to fight and in the next moment, Rebecca is accompanying her to the OB/GYN. It didn't seem like there were the closest of friends before Rebecca left town.

BeitragVerfasst: 07.08.2012, 05:33 

Zitat:
By the way, Marlene is the eldest sister, right? So many of her qualities are general older-sibling characteristics.

Yes, 100 times yes. There was actually a lot of focus on that when Marlene was introduced. Like giving the youngest sister Kim some very cute speeches and dressing downs while also trying to be the best buddy sister (like the one you can talk to about sex). While Dana was a bit more uncomfortable with Marlene's involvement. (like Marlene tried to talk Hagen into giving Dana job favors and enthusiastically cheerleaded the Dana/Tristan relationship) She can be superloving and protective with the sibs.

=> I think for a lot of people that was the first sort of "gap" in Marlene. That they felt that she was very different and a lot more down to earth with her family than when she was "on the job" Marlene.

Zitat:
And your answers are always divined out with your awesome understanding of these characters and incredible ability to see into their pasts and possibly their future

Ehhh, take it with a grain of salt though. It's just what I rhyme together from what I see. The authors might see it very different and don't forget that all these characters were written across multiple authors and multiple head writers too who might all have different takes on them.

Zitat:
for such a woman, Rebecca is the equivalent of a giant wrecking ball. The wolf who blew down Marlene's perfectly crafted house. And it's not just the lezzie thing; for Marlene, giving into Rebecca crashes her system on more complex levels.

Hehe, perfect way to put it.

Zitat:
(cuz what is it with Marlene hiding herself in a bathroom when she needs to escape Tristan - he is everywhere, EVERY-FREAKIN-WHERE).

Oh yes, he totally is. Back when Tristan was jealous of Christian, I thought that there was this very, very true to character moment where he goes all interrogator on her with the "I know your schedule, I know when your appointment was over, I know how long it takes to get from A to B, why are you lying to me/where were you really". And actually indicates that he would totally want to accompany her when she goes to her obgyn. It reminded me *a lot* of the Tristan from the story where he was obsessed with his sister where I always joked that he totally would have accompanied her to the toilet if there had been any way to make that appropriate. Like one of my favorite "telling" scenes from that story is when his sister goes to a party alone (where she does indeed end up meeting her later love interest) and Tristan lies down on her bed and gets drunk waiting for her and when she comes back she has to physically drag him out of her bed, push him out the door and close the door behind him because he wants to spend the night in her bed with her and doesn't want to leave. So yeah, Tristan and privacy is kinda a loaded issue.

That said, I don't necessarily think that Tristan is a badguy or hate him. He can be a really interesting character at times. I just think that he has some pretty bad and unhealthy habits that thankfully he occasionally tries to overcome or counteract (like him struggling with trying to overcome his jealousy). Like he intellectually knows he should trust his partner, it's just really hard for him. So chances are he knows that he shouldn't be so controlling, it's just a huge temptation. => that's why I really think that it's super unhealthy for him to date Marlene because it gives him a seemingly appropriate outlet for his control issues.

=> for all the ways I think that Tristan is too forgiving/too undemanding/to much of a doormat/forgives and forgets too quickly in their relationship, I actually think he's pretty bossy in their job life. Like when he wants Marlene to have more androgynous clothes and you can clearly tell that she's kinda uncomfortable with the idea at the moment and he just keeps talking it up to her till she gives in. Or making her do that interview when she's on the verge of crying. => I actually felt that that was always a big part of the Tristan/Marlene professional relationship, that he pushed her to do things she was kinda uncomfortable with and usually about really useless things too like weird publicity stunts. => I wonder if that's kinda his tradeoff, that he's ok with being a doormat in their relationship life because he knows he can be controlling/punishing of her in their job life.

Zitat:
It doesn't seem like there was an huge backlash

Nope they kinda just accepted it. I think Ludwig and Elisabeth (Tristan's father and his wife) weren't really huge fans of Marlene's from her Hagen days so they weren't that enthused that she would stay around I think, but there was really no basis to object to it since Hagen was the one who was the badguy in the relationship breakup.

Zitat:
It didn't seem like there were the closest of friends before Rebecca left town.

I would say their relationship with the first Becky was kinda tumultuous.I kinda see it that making the wedding dress for Marlene was Rebecca first real, high profile job, her first time working with a real client. So I think it was kinda watershed for her. Their relationship actually kinda reminded me a bit of the conversation before they first have sex where Marlene says that yelling at Rebecca made her realize how much she cares.

The basic raport of Marlene and old!Becky was kinda that there would be a conflict, frequently Marlene doing something diva-ish, Marlene would yell, Rebecca would cry and run away, Marlene would regret it/obviously hated the thought of anybody hating her, going after Becky and apologizing and Rebecca relenting. And there were still odd moments of Marlene throwing herself a bit emotionally at Rebecca/letting some real vulnerability shine though. Like I think the last scene in this storyline was Rebecca getting Marlene dressed before the wedding and a very timid Marlene wondering whether she's doing the right thing/questioning whether Hagen truly loves her. Old!Rebecca always seemed to be a bit weirded out by those moments. Like I think for her the raport was that she didn't really like Marlene all that much, they just had some very shared interests (Marlene wants a dress, Rebecca wants the fame of making Marlene's dress) and it was weird to her when Marlene went all clingy on her all of a sudden. But I don't think it was like friendship more like.... kinda Marlene seeing her as part of the entourage maybe? like her favorite servant? And Rebecca being kinda contemptuous of it? => I do sometimes wonder if there wasn't a plan for Marlene/Rebecca back then because you see certain shades of this in story as well, especially with the repeat of the whole wedding dress aspect.

Zitat:
There was something I never fully understood - (probably because part 2 of the backstory has yet to be subtitled) - how is it that Marlene and Rebecca got off to such a resounding start

When Rebecca and Marlene meet again they have a really pointless bitch fight over a nothing issue and afterwards Marlene kind of wistfully tells Tristan how much she liked that/how much she enjoyed somebody giving her a real piece of mind rather than treating her with kids gloves. Rebecca from the beginning of the story was portrayed as being a lot more bitchy-her own diva than we usually see of her now (like there was this whole sub thread of her being super spoiled around Ricardo, the doctor guy) and I think the message was supposed to be that Marlene really dug that/gravitated to that. Is this what you meant?

I also think that it was supposed to be unusual that Marlene latched onto her like that so quickly. I think Tristan even mentions it in one of their fights about the baby issue and asks her to justify why she would confide in Rebecca, but not in him. And she basically has no explanation and says that it's just because Rebecca was there.

BeitragVerfasst: 07.08.2012, 08:19 

I love marbecca and fuck ya' :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz: ll that dont!!!!!

BeitragVerfasst: 08.08.2012, 02:57 

Since you ladies were so quick with an answer last time I asked about finding a particular scene - I thought I would ask for your help again!

I've noticed in a couple of music videos a clip of Marlene (wearing a white coat) fixing/fluffing Rebecca's hair. Rebecca is wearing a black coat with a funky furry collar. When did that happen?

Also, what do you think is the mascara budget for those two? They must go through gallons of the stuff with all the crying and unexpected swimming that they do! :wink:

BeitragVerfasst: 08.08.2012, 04:21 

It's from their first kart racing "date" right after the spin the bottle kiss and before Marlene tries to kiss Rebecca again in the pool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOvqnCLC-8U[/youtube]

BeitragVerfasst: 08.08.2012, 04:48 

Zitat:
She can be superloving and protective with the sibs. I think for a lot of people that was the first sort of "gap" in Marlene. That they felt that she was very different and a lot more down to earth with her family than when she was "on the job" Marlene.
I agree! I'm not sure how Melanie pulls it off but somehow everything - the lighting, the makeup, Marlene's facial expressions and general demeanor - soften in the presence of the Wolf family. No matter how openly vulnerable Marlene tries to be with Tristan, there remains traces of her diva-singer persona. And even though Rebecca gets similar (or maybe even worse treatment), she also gets the Marlene that sat in her empty living room waiting for Rebecca to finish her shower because she didn't want to leave things between them in such disrepair. I know quite a lot of comments were thrown around about the awkward kissing and the love scene that would follow, :roll: but even before that, it's Marlene's absolutely forlorn figure sitting in that empty room that slays me. She could have stormed off because hell, she did exactly that two or three times that same day to Rebecca (and Tristan). But she doesn't. She sits down even though there is a very real chance that Rebecca will try to toss her out again. I wonder what Marlene grappled with as she sat in that empty room. Because the scene that follows next is Marlene removed of her bluster and energy and anger and repression. She is honest. And her eyes are glittering with heat and defeat as she approaches Rebecca. I'm just going to safely assume that no one gets this reaction out of her - not her ex and certainly not her current husband-to-be.

Contrast this to that scene where Marlene ties Tristan's (PURPLEEEE - really, is there any explanation as to why he must absolutely be in that color in every scene) tie - Marlene is vulnerable here too, but still guarded, still forcing a reconciliation, still preserving what she can of their damaged relationship. She is negotiating the amount of honesty she will allow herself.

One more comment about the love scene - what absolutely floored me was all of Marlene's little excited smiles throughout it all. All the unsaid finally's! that were felt by both. I mean sure, Tristan has gotten his fair share of love scene smiles too...seductive smiles, smiles of pleasure and satisfaction...all those times Tristan would initiate something or Marlene would drop her robe...all of it looked so easy and confident and most of all, controlled. But none of those smiles came close to the kid-on-Christmas-morning-is-this-for-me-could-this-really-be-happening-smiles that Marlene was throwing at Rebecca. :D Or how they couldn't get each others clothes off fast enough. And how smooth was replaced with a teenage eagerness to just finally be with each other.

Zitat:
for all the ways I think that Tristan is too forgiving/too undemanding/to much of a doormat/forgives and forgets too quickly in their relationship, I actually think he's pretty bossy in their job life.
How is this manager-client relationship possibly going to survive when Marlene chooses Rebecca? And lol, he really does push her to do useless things. Like, what was the point (besides being petty) of narrating how Marlene is the perfect flirt and actress while Marlene is doing an interview? If she hadn't acted her way through that meeting with the journalist, then it would be Tristan in trouble and managing the PR aftermath. Though his description did make me realize just how hard it must have been for Rebecca to fight the onslaught of all that "innocent" flirting that Marlene was doing prior to their first kiss. :liebe2: You know what I've always found mystifying and yet admirable in Rebecca - she has almost wholeheartedly believed that Marlene loves her just as much as she loves Marlene. Right from the start. Like Marlene would dampen her hopes or trample on her feelings, but Rebecca's hope always prevailed. I could never fully understand her ebullient optimism. Was this how Rebecca has always been or was this just her belief in the power of Marbecca?

Zitat:
But I don't think it was like friendship more like.... kinda Marlene seeing her as part of the entourage maybe? like her favorite servant? And Rebecca being kinda contemptuous of it? => I do sometimes wonder if there wasn't a plan for Marlene/Rebecca back then because you see certain shades of this in story as well, especially with the repeat of the whole wedding dress aspect.
I loved reading your description of old!Becky and Marlene's relationship. I laughed through the scene where Marlene throws herself into old!Becky's arms. Maybe they are trying to flip their dynamics now? Because Rebecca is still pretty "servile" to Marlene, but now she can hold her own and give back as good as she gets (Thank god for this - because I don't think any of us could survive the silently suffering lezzie storyline). And this new self-respecting Rebecca forces Marlene to see her as an equal.

This leads me to a question - Marlene continuously dismisses a relationship with Rebecca - and while I understand her hesitations on a career/image/family/lez standpoint - is it also because Marlene considers Rebecca junior to her - not just in age, but also in wisdom and understanding? Could Marlene actually believe that all of Rebecca's love declarations are just youthful fancies? :shock: And what would you guess is the age difference between Marlene and Rebecca? And that between Tristan and Rebecca? While they have evened the playing field by giving Rebecca a demanding career and position, have they really leveled the status between Marbecca?

Zitat:
When Rebecca and Marlene meet again they have a really pointless bitch fight over a nothing issue and afterwards Marlene kind of wistfully tells Tristan how much she liked that/how much she enjoyed somebody giving her a real piece of mind rather than treating her with kids gloves.
Haha, do people really treat Marlene with kid gloves? I guess, she does get everything she wants. I laughed through all of Marlene's red-flag comments about how sometimes one needs a girlfriend by their side, and I slept with you thanks to Rebecca and her swimsuit... etc.

Zitat:
Rebecca from the beginning of the story was portrayed as being a lot more bitchy-her own diva than we usually see of her now (like there was this whole sub thread of her being super spoiled around Ricardo, the doctor guy) and I think the message was supposed to be that Marlene really dug that/gravitated to that.
Lol I thought the message with Ricardo was that Rebecca is bi. Even though she's about to follow up the Ricardo flirtation by going from Bianca to Juliette, while fixated on one particular diva extraordinaire. I remember seeing Rebecca's interactions with the doctor and I just figured that like Marlene, Rebecca also has a diva-mode that gets activated for work related ambitions. And then when she is with Marlene, she alternates between a wide-eyed girl with a hopeless love and a strong, yet compassionate woman coming into her own.

Zitat:
Also, what do you think is the mascara budget for those two? They must go through gallons of the stuff with all the crying and unexpected swimming that they do!
Haha, your comment made me laugh. It was the worst when Marlene was crying at No Limits - i don't think I've ever seen that much mascara run down someone's eyes. Like ever. And I once attended an outdoor wedding in the rain. I'm pretty sure we're not at the end of the crying just yet - Marlene looked ready to break down again as she's descending the stairs with Tristan and Rebecca on each side. I hope there's a way to get mascara off of a wedding dress.

Oops...I think I've turned a question-and-answer section into a full-on discussion section. Okay, will stick to only questions from now on. Must contain these Marbecca feels... :ohnmacht:

BeitragVerfasst: 08.08.2012, 05:34 

Zitat:
She sits down even though there is a very real chance that Rebecca will try to toss her out again. I wonder what Marlene grappled with as she sat in that empty room.

Sounds like a fanfic waiting to happen ;)

Zitat:
Was this how Rebecca has always been or was this just her belief in the power of Marbecca?

Rebecca tended to be pretty insecure and awkward in her romances. Remember that really early stage of Marbecca where Rebecca was all "No, one can't just do that, I must push my feelings down?". When she was in love with Christian (yes, Christian of Olli and Christian) it was that drawn out for a year. Rebecca's dating history was always very.... spotty? Weird?

When she came to the show she met Christian's brother Gregor, there was like combatative flirting stuff and they agreed to a no strings attached/just fun sex only. Of course it look like a week before Rebecca developed real feelings and went into "Nooooo, I can never tell him or else he'll dump me!" mode. And of course because she's Rebecca she blurted out the truth by accident. Gregor decided to give the relationship a chance but then broke it off with her when his ex-wife Sarah returned to town and he realized that he was still really affected by the breakup.

Let me use this opportunity to post this gratuitous screencap of Rebecca being comforted by Sarah
Bild

After that Rebecca grieved for the relationship with Gregor, went to New York got herself fired from her internship there, came back, grieved some more (including some fun getting drunk stuff), struck up a friendship with David Brandner who was one of the servants at the time and who fell in love with her but she was oblivious and didn't return his feelings.
Bild
Drunk!Rebecca with Carla's future wife Stella.

Then Rebecca's distant cousin Luise came into town and Rebecca struck up this really LOL-worthy "I decide we are best friends now while Luise looks awkwardly" friendship with her. Around that time Rebecca also decided that she wasn't over Gregor and wanted him back. She made some pretty fail-sy attempts to win him back including trying to become a waitress for him and making him a mix-tape :totlach: Then she discovered that the entire time she tried to win Gregor back and had been running up against a wall he'd been secretly dating Luise. Rebecca vowed revenge which mostly consisted of spreading pesky rumours about Gregor to Luise and leaking a Gregor/Luise kissing photo to the press. Rebecca then realized what she had done, spontaneously confessed to Gregor and Luise, made up with them and even was a bridesmaid at their wedding.
Bild
Rebecca and Luise.

After that Rebecca's sister Helena came to town. Rebecca was still pretty blue because she was broke, the fashion people had told her that she had no talent and of course Gregor was happy with Luise. Then a while after her Tristan arrived and Rebecca and Tristan in a sort of meta way competed for Helena's affection/attention in this sort of mini story.
BildBildBildBild
Rebecca, Helena and Tristan. (and no, despite Rebecca looking absolutely lovelorn, it really was just sibling jealousy)

After that Rebecca had like this downward spiral thing where she started shoplifting to make herself feel better and then nicking money from her family to pay for her debts. Of course because she's Rebecca she got caught and her family was like WTF??? In this situation Christian defended her even though she had almost gotten him into jail because the suspicion had fallen on him about who was doing the stealing. Part of this defending consisted of Christian yelling at Tristan and Helena that they were being selfish assholes to Rebecca which led to Rebecca falling in love with him.
Bild
Rebecca gets caught by Tanja.

She then tearfully and passively pined for Christian for ages who considered her only a friend and always came to her to complain about his relationship problems with Olli to her. During this time, to distract herself, Rebecca started sleeping with David (her friend the castle servant), not knowing he had feelings for her. David eventually got mad and confessed his feelings for her and Rebecca decided she wanted to give the relationship a try. But David see her looking needily at Christian again, blew a fuse, dumped her and left town. <= weirdly enough David was actually the only boy relationship of Rebecca's I actually kinda liked.
Bild
Raw passion between Rebecca and David.

Rebecca's feelings for Christian were eventually outed, Rebecca helped Christian defeat an evil drug dealer who had been hitting on Olli, Chrolli made up and Rebecca became a bridesmaid at their wedding. <= wait, I'm seeing a trend here.
Bild

After that Rebecca laid low on the relationship front and apparently had a string of casual one night stand type relationships off screen. Stuff that included really digging a guy but finding out he was actually married and then dumping him, having a vacation ONS and afterwards fearing that she might have gotten pregnant or. And then of course Rebecca started dating Miriam who was cute and adorable and happy making and then they dumped each other due to insecurities because the VL TPTB are awful like that.
Bild

After that the dress story with Marlene happened. After that Rebecca befriended Marlene's sister Kim and was essentially support for her for a few months. After that she got roped into various business storylines because her father wanted all family members to become more active in the family business. There Rebecca got really frustrated with the hypocritical nature of her family members and eventually told them all to go fuck themselves and went to New York.

And then of course after about a year she came back with a new actress and way more awesome.

In short: I personally think Rebecca was never this "driven by love" in her previous storylines even though she has a long history of pining. I think her other pining stories were more like schoolgirl crushes and she was always very insecure about how she came across/how the other person felt for her. (yes even though she acted totally entitled about Gregor and Luise that of course Luise owed her to stay away from Gregor/had betrayed her by dating Gregor even though Rebecca had declared her friendship for Luise pretty much unilaterally and Gregor and Rebecca had been broken up for unrelated reasons for a looooooong time)

BeitragVerfasst: 08.08.2012, 05:45 

Zitat:
Could Marlene actually believe that all of Rebecca's love declarations are just youthful fancies?

I personally don't really get that vibe. Marlene seems to take Rebecca's feelings pretty seriously after all she considers them a huge threat. I never got the impression that she worried that Rebecca's feelings might not last (or only in the "if I let her get away somebody will snag her up like that Juliette bitch" way).

Zitat:
And what would you guess is the age difference between Marlene and Rebecca? And that between Tristan and Rebecca?

I *think* based on what we have seen so far Marlene should be the same age as Tristan or even a year older and of course Rebecca is younger than Tristan. I forget whether Rebecca was originally supposed to be 2 or 4 years younger than the twins. Of course VL likes to forget these type of pesky details and in real life Tatjana is actually older than Melanie. And because I can: a video with a Sebastian, Tristan, Helena and Rebecca childhood flashback (and no, I don't know either why the twins apparently were much fairer as kids) http://www.myvideo.at/watch/8324954

Zitat:
Contrast this to that scene where Marlene ties Tristan's (PURPLEEEE - really, is there any explanation as to why he must absolutely be in that color in every scene) tie

Hehe, I should dig out some stuff they made him wear during the original Helena story. I get the feeling that the costume designers sure love having their fun with him.

BeitragVerfasst: 08.08.2012, 15:07 

LolaRuns hat geschrieben:
It's from their first kart racing "date" right after the spin the bottle kiss and before Marlene tries to kiss Rebecca again in the pool.

Danke!

And, another question for the experts on this board --

Are there any clips of Marlene actually singing/performing? Is the actress, Melanie, a real singer? Since Marlene's career is so important to understanding her character, and her tendency to be a diva at times, I'm wondering why we don't see her performing -- or even rehearsing! Seems all she does is have costume fittings and photo shoots.

BeitragVerfasst: 08.08.2012, 22:31 

No. Melanie is not a real singer. She has a dubbing singer who does the songs that Marlene sings. http://www.youtube.com/user/juliesmusicsite

The song that was used the most on the show was Unreachable which is supposed to be from Lily Rose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wRnB4Kw-A&feature=plcp

I think they stopped showing her sing because most people really, really, really hated it:
1.) The dub singer isn't all that great (nor are the VL written songs, there are some really atrocious English errors in some of them)
2.) It's really, really obvious that it's not Marlene's real voice/that Melanie isn't actually singing

=> http://youtu.be/rxPQTmERXbo?t=11m39s
=> http://youtu.be/MvsnfKuXcsA?t=5m55s
=> http://youtu.be/p9ehpaanmPE?t=4m54s

BeitragVerfasst: 09.08.2012, 00:30 

LolaRuns hat geschrieben:
No. Melanie is not a real singer. She has a dubbing singer who does the songs that Marlene sings.
I think they stopped showing her sing because most people really, really, really hated it:

:shock: OMG :kotz:

How can a show that appears to have such a huge production budget spend so little on dubbing a voice? Especially when the character is supposedly a FAMOUS singer? WTF?

Well, danke for the clips -- I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Poor Melanie/Marlene!!

BeitragVerfasst: 09.08.2012, 06:40 

Well, in the end it's still a soap. You should have seen Dana's riding and racing scenes, especially since SHE was supposed to be the main heroine of the story, not Marlene. But yeah, don't be sad if you don't hear Marlene sing or they cut her off after two lines. It IS the better option :wink:

That said in the last clip her singing is supposed to be awful (maybe that actually is Melanie?). But yeah, there was a lot of mocking from the German fans, especially since they always used exactly the same clip of unreachable regardless of whether Marlene was singing it at a party or on the stage or outside or in the recording studio. It was very humorous/failsy.And of course that Marlene was always singing exactly the same two songs regardless of what the occasion was like singing a song about a guy who dumped you (or died, I'm not sure) at the birthday party of the Lahnstein dad.

Now I think I really have to find Dana's really awful green screen riding.

So think of that the next time you maybe think that the dresses and bathing suits of world class designer Rebecca are maybe a tiny bit awful :D It could all be so much worse :) I still fondly remember Christian's big league boxing match where it was hard to decide which supposed professional boxer was more obviously totally out of shape.

===> btw I kinda love how in the last clip Marlene has flashback of two different guys, first she's marrying Hagen I and then she's frolicking around with Hagen II (the actor for Hagen got recast shortly after the beginning of the storyline)

Looking at these clips reminds me how again (which is a very unpopular opinion among fans) thought her relationship with Hagen felt a lot more real/believable than her relationship with Tristan does now. When I look at current Marlene "fighting" for Tristan I just see histronics. With Hagen there was a lot more "trying to be ok and it creeping up on her" which to me feels a lot more true to Marlene (though even there with Hagen it also still felt more like "I want him to be there again/be in my life as my rock/I want his chess piece back on my board of life because I'm upset when it's not there" rather than genuinely caring about his feelings and talking about their relationship). It still wasn't real love-love or a genuine connection, but I still bought it more (I also kinda buy their somewhat friendshippy scenes more when they have them). Marlene and Tristan most of the time just feel like aliens to me when they try to portray a relationship.

BeitragVerfasst: 10.08.2012, 05:47 

OMG Lolaruns. I was not prepared for those screen caps you posted of Rebecca and her past "longings".
The one of Tristan covered covered in girls...i mean sisters...ewww... was second only to the photo of Rebecca and her bff "Luise".

After going through your post, I recognize that the recast of Rebecca was a very good thing (and the previous Rebecca had serious reasons for jumping ship). I like how they've sort of given us Rebecca 2.0 in Tatjana. Her doormat status has been traded in for a little more sass and self-righteousness, even while she holds on to her phD in "Pining and suffering for love". Like wow. Her endless longing for Marlene makes so much more sense now. Almost like that elusive thing in soaps...character continuity!

Also, Marlene dub!singing "Somewhere over the rainbow" while the rest of the characters blatantly just carry on talking in the audience is ridiculously funny. Old!Rebecca even makes this really funny face. :lol:

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 111 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC